Unlike a regular takeaway cup, biodegradable cups have the ability to degrade in a non-harmful way.
These cups are eco-friendlier alternatives commonly made with a single PLA coating. This coating is a bioplastic, derived from plant-based materials such as corn starch or sugarcane.
What are bioplastics?
Bioplastics are made from plants unlike regular plastics that are made from oil.
Unlike oil based plastics, which stay present as waste for many years, bioplastics are renewable and can biodegrade within 12 weeks. The carbon footprint of bioplastic is also much lower than petroleum based plastics.
How can I check my cup is biodegradable?
Manufacturers mark biodegradable cups on the print.
If you are still uncertain, ask the business or supplier.
Where should I dispose my cup?
You can dispose of cups with your food waste and have everything collected together to be taken to a composting facility. Here, the cups will biodegrade into compost in less than 12 weeks.
We recommend checking with your local council to see that food waste goes to a composting facility. If they don’t offer the facility, you can compost your cup at home.
What are the benefits of a biodegradable cup?
- Helps fight waste, pollution and reduces fossil fuel usage
- Chemical-free cups are safe to use
- Affordable for businesses
- Promotes corporate social responsibility (CSR)
- Boost business reputation
What takeaway cups are biodegradable?
At Event Supplies, we offer biodegradable cups in many shapes and sizes.
- Single wall biodegradable cups (4oz, 6oz, 8oz, 12oz and 16oz)
- Single wall bamboo mixed cups (8oz, 12oz and 16oz)
- Double wall Aqueous cups (8oz and 12oz)
- Double wall PLA cups (8oz, 12oz and 16oz)
- Double wall ripple cups (8oz, 12oz and 16oz)
- Triple wall ultimate bamboo cups (8oz, 12oz and 16oz)
We also offer biodegradable lids which also have the ability to degrade naturally.